Learn How to Create a Website for Affiliate Marketing
The fact that you are here today, tells me that you want to create a website, or you have already started, but you feel a little overwhelmed and need some questions answered. I am happy that you found The Honest Affiliate.
I have made my fair share of mistakes on my journey to success and I am not ashamed to admit it. You see, through failure, comes understanding…
One thing you should keep in mind is that you never stop learning when you immerse yourself in the world of affiliate marketing. I still learn something new all the time.
In today’s post I will show you exactly how to create your own website and blog (yes, I said “AND BLOG” – I will explain below). Don’t worry, I geared the post for beginners, so if you follow the easy step-by-step instructions given, you will be able to create a website in less than 30 minutes.
Why should you create a website AND start a blog?
To build an effective affiliate marketing business, you need to get your affiliate links out there for other people to see. To create a website is only the beginning. You see, you need to attract traffic to your website and the best way to do this, is through blogging.
If you are new to the business, you might wonder why, so let me explain. When you blog, you create content filled with information on a certain subject. This information is read by people who, if they find it informative, will click on your affiliate links, which in turn leads to sales.
People start blogging for many different reasons, but the main reasons are as follows:
- Make money while working from home.
I earn a full-time income blogging and I am not alone. It is true that it is hard work to make money as a blogger, but your financial risk is very low since you don’t need a huge capital investment and your monthly overheads are minimal.
- Become a published author.
What many aspiring writers soon learn, is that publishers rarely work with writers who have no online presence. Understandably so, since it’s a lot easier to sell books to people who know and trust you. Blogs are one of the most effective ways of building a following.
- Get more exposure for your existing business or organization.
This was the reason I initially started blogging. A blog enables both large companies and individuals, to reach a large number of people with minimal cost.
- Just write.
Many bloggers start blogging simply to write. You can share your stories, maybe encourage others or just keep a journal. A blog is a fun way to do this, and build a following too.
As an affiliate marketer, you need to create a blog to get more exposure to your affiliate marketing website.
This is how you create a website and start a blog…
Create a website for your affiliate marketing business and start a blog in 6 easy steps
- Choose a niche market that is in line with the affiliate market product/s that you want to promote
- Choose a name for your website and blog
- Register your blog and get it online
- Create your first blog post.
- Promote – Promote – Promote
- Start making money with your blog!
Ready… Steady… GO!
Step 1: Choose a niche market that is in line with the affiliate market product/s that you want to promote
As an affiliate marketer, you want to get more exposure for your affiliate links, your blog should be related to the products and/or services you have on offer.
If you have not decided on an affiliate marketing product, you have more flexibility when choosing a topic or niche market. In this case, you should remember the following:
- Everyone tells you to blog about something you enjoy or are passionate about. I am passionate about making money online and I get excited every time I write a new post or start a new discussion. My advice is to find something that you feel could
- Blog about something that has many discussion points and can be looked at from different angles. In order for your blog to be successful, you will have to create fresh content continually. A blog is a long term project so make sure you have enough to talk about.
- You need to establish yourself as an authority, so choose a niche accordingly. You will not be the first person to blog about your chosen topic, I can almost guarantee it. Don’t worry though, you will be your own brand with your own unique views.
Remember: A blog should be the go-to resource for its niche market, you want people to come back and click on your affiliate links. If you create quality content that gives honest advice and feedback on products, people will be much more likely to buy something from your affiliate links.
Step 2: Choose a name for your website
Now that you have chosen a topic or niche market, you can choose a name for your website.
Opt for a descriptive name for your website. Choose a name that will instantly tell new readers what your website is all about.
A good idea is to include the topic you will be blogging about in your name. Be creative though, use variations of your topic. If your website and blog is about fashion, for instance, don’t get stuck on the word fashion, you could also use words like “run-way”, “boutique”, or “clothing”. These words will also tell people that your website is about fashion.
If you decide to market more than one product in different topics, I suggest you use your name as the website name or at least as part of the name. For example, I would use something like jobotha.com. Your name might already be taken, in that case, add your middle name or middle initial. Some other variations you could use are “Jo Botha Blog” or “Blogging with Jo”.
Once you have chosen a name for your website, you need to purchase a domain. Choosing a .com domain is by far the most preferred, but .net and .org work just as well.
Remember, there are no spaces or punctuation (except for dashes) in domain names, so Jo Botha will become jobotha.com and not something like jo.botha.com or jo/botha.com, but it may be jo-botha.com
Before you purchase your domain name, you will have to check if it is still available. If it happens that your chosen name has been taken, you can do one of the following:
- Change the domain extension. It may happen that the .com version of your name is already taken, but then you may still be able to use the .net or .org extension.
- Add a little word. Use a word like “a”, “my”, or “the”. For example, use something like TheJoBothaBlog.com instead of jobothablog.com.
- Add dashes. For example, jo-botha.com
It is easier to purchase a domain name from the hosting company you intend to use since you will not have to transfer your domain to a host, you will be able to start creating your blog immediately. Many hosting companies offer free domain names with their hosting packages.
Step 3: Register your website and blog and get it online
Now that you have your domain name, you need to register your website and blog and get it online.
In order to do this, you will need blogging software and website hosting.
You need software to build your website and blog. I use WordPress, not only because it is the most popular, but it is customizable and very easy to use AND you can create your website as a blog. Luckily it is almost always coupled with the hosting package.
Website hosting is important because a hosting company will give you server space for your website in order for it to appear online. Plainly put, the hosting company keeps the files of your blog or website and spits it out to readers who type in your site name. You CANNOT have a website or blog without a web host.
Choosing the wrong host will doom your website from the get-go! Your readers will get frustrated with slow page loading times and you might even find that your website is just not working at all.
There are many hosting companies on the market. Maybe one of the best known is BlueHost. Not only is BlueHost affordable and does it offer a free domain name with some of its hosting packages, but it is extremely user-friendly. I recommend BlueHost for any newbie affiliate marketer because of the following features:
- BlueHost offers a free, yet simple installation of all the popular blogging tools, which includes WordPress.
- WordPress has been recommending BlueHost since 2005 and at present, BlueHost hosts more than 2 million websites.
- You get industry-leading 24/7 support via phone, email, or web chat.
- Most importantly, they offer a money back guarantee, should you not be satisfied with the service.
There are also other hosting companies like GoDaddy.com or HostBlast.com that is a little less user-friendly which means that you need a bit more technical experience to navigate it.
Step 4: Create your first blog post
Once your website is up and running, and you have installed WordPress, it’s time to start blogging! You need to start creating SEO rich content to get traffic to your website and to get people to click on your affiliate links.
In your WordPress Dashboard, click on “Posts” in the menu on the left.
Every new WordPress blog has a default post named “Hello world!”, but you will not need it. Simply click “trash” and delete it.
Once you are on the post editor screen, you can enter the title of your post in the top box and begin writing your post in the lower box.
You can add a picture to your post by clicking on the “Add Media” button, then “Select Files” and upload a picture from your computer. Once you have chosen a picture, you can click “Insert into post” and your picture will be added to the post.
I think the most exhilarating part of creating a blog, is when you click the “Publish” button on the right side of the screen for the first time!
Well done! Now you know how to start your own blog and publish your content!
Step 5: Promote – Promote – Promote
This step is probably the biggest hurdle for most affiliate marketers and bloggers alike and also the main reason why they fail.
In order for your blog to be successful, you have to tell people about it! DO NOT be afraid, be proud of your work and share it wherever you can.
In the beginning, I simply did not promote my blog, because I felt that it was not good enough. I am not the only blogger who has ever made this mistake… Do you know how many awesome bloggers out there, has almost no following?
Remember, you will be working on your blog continuously, making changes and tweaking it as you progress, so don’t be too hard on yourself or too critical of your work in the beginning. Instead, be proud of the work you have done and PROMOTE – PROMOTE – PROMOTE!
Luckily the best ways to promote your blog are free and they are as follows:
- Email marketing
- Social networks
- Commenting on other blogs
- Link to other blogs
- Guest posting
- Online forums
- Frequent posting
Your biggest aim is to grow or build a following of readers who read your content and like it enough to come back for more and trust you enough to buy products from your affiliate links. The thing many affiliate marketers tend to forget is that there are millions of blogs out there, no matter how well your content is written, without some kind of “call-to-action” on your site, a person who loves your blog today might NEVER return. Make sure you have a subscribe button somewhere on your blog…
I will discuss all of the above-mentioned marketing methods in detail, later on, if you have any queries or if you need some help with any of them now, please feel free to contact me or to leave a comment and I will reply as soon as possible.
Step 6: Start making money with your website and blog
Once your website and blog is known and you have built some kind of following, you can start monetizing your blog. There are many ways to do this, but the main routes to follow are:
- Affiliate Marketing – You register as an affiliate with a company that sells items that are in line with your Niche Market or the topic of your blog. You then strategically place links to these items in your blog posts and earn commission from items bought through your affiliate link.
- Google AdSense – You register your blog with Google AdSense and if you are approved, Google will place ads on your blog. If someone clicks on these ads and spend money, you will earn.
- Create A Product or Offer A Service – This is probably the fastest way to earn from your blog. By offering to do a service or by selling a product that you have created, you can quickly start earning. You have to keep in mind though that any product you offer has to be of good quality, or you will lose your customers after the first sale.
These three options are the most commonly used by bloggers. Remember that your success depends on your following, so create quality content and get your readers to come back for more!